Russian top diplomat to visit NK, accuses US of fueling tensions on Korean Peninsula
简介Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov announced plans for an October visit to Pyongyang following t ...
Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov announced plans for an October visit to Pyongyang following the North Korea-Russia summit earlier this month, intensifying speculation about increased military cooperation between the two nations.
"In accordance with the decision of (North Korean leader) Kim Jong-un and (Russian President Vladimir) Putin, we will arrange my talks in Pyongyang, which may indeed take place next month," Lavrov was quoted as saying by Russian news agency TASS during a press conference after the annual United Nations General Assembly on Saturday.
Lavrov's remarks reaffirm the Kremlin's statement that Putin's potential visit to North Korea -- the first since the Kim Jong-un regime began in 2011 -- will follow Lavrov's expected visit to Pyongyang in October to meet his North Korean counterpart, Choe Son-hui.
Kremlin spokesperson Dmitry Peskov said on Sept. 14 Kim invited Putin to visit North Korea and Putin "gratefully accepted" the invitation, calling the high-level talks between Pyongyang and Moscow "very, very constructive."
During Kim's visit to Russia from Sept. 12-17, Kim reportedly invited Putin to visit North Korea "at a convenient time," according to Pyongyang's state-run Korean Central News Agency, and Putin "accepted the invitation with pleasure."
Saturday's confirmation of the visit to North Korea stands in contrast to a similar situation four years ago, when potential high-level talks in Pyongyang reported by KCNA did not come to fruition following the summit between Kim and Putin in Russia.
Lavrov, meanwhile, noted in a speech at the UN General Assembly on Saturday that the building of ties between South Korea, Japan and the United States from the outset of the trilateral summit at Camp David has left the Korean Peninsula unsettled, and that Washington is to blame for the circumstances.
"It is alarming that Washington and its Asian allies are whipping up military hysteria on the Korean Peninsula, where the strategic potential of the US is accumulating," he said.
"Russian and Chinese initiatives to give priority to humanitarian and political tasks are rejected."
Top diplomats of South Korea, Japan and the United States denounced the possible arms deal between the two isolated countries, amid converging needs that could be mutually fulfilled. Russia is reportedly running out of ammunition to sustain the prolonged war with Ukraine, while North Korea has largely been lackluster in its progress to achieve its military ambitions, such as the launch of a space satellite for military purposes.
South Korea's Foreign Ministry said in a statement Saturday that Foreign Minister Park Jin briefly met with US Secretary of State Antony Blinken and Japanese Foreign Minister Yoko Kamikawa during his trip to New York, and warned that any potential arms deal between Pyongyang and Moscow would be in violation of UN Security Council resolutions that Russia itself voted for.
China, another UN Security Council member nation, appears to have kept its distance from the talks between North Korea and Russia.
First Vice Foreign Minister Chang Ho-jin on Saturday said in Hangzhou, China, that, during the talks between Prime Minister Han Duck-soo and Chinese President Xi Jinping that lasted for about 30 minutes, the matters of North Korea-Russia ties were "barely mentioned."
Chang added that talks between Pyongyang and the Kremlin "have nothing to do with China."
Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Mao Ning said on Sept. 12 that Kim’s visit to Russia "is something between their two countries." She added that she "(doesn't) have anything to share" about the possible high-level meeting between North Korea and China, while Putin on Wednesday accepted Xi's invitation to visit China in October.
South Korea's business sentiment remained unchanged for October amid sluggish exports of the co ...
Hyundai Steel said Wednesday it will showcase its eco-friendly solutions at the Steel & Metal Korea ...
Korea's intangible cultural heritage is to be showcased overseas in special events being held i ...
- [Our Museums] Gyeonggi Ceramic Museum shows artistic essence of ceramics throughout history
- S. Korea holds rare military parade, warns NK against nuclear attack
- [Herald Review] ‘Carmen’ redefines iconic femme fatale as stalking victim
- [사진] 영장심사 마친 이재명, 묵묵부답
- 北주민 굶어 죽어도…김여정 디오르, 최선희는 구찌 '명품 사랑'
- N. Korean envoy vows stronger 'self
More seniors working but still not earning enough: data
Intangible cultural heritage exhibitions, performances head overseas
“김정은 두만강역 통해 귀국…조로관계 발전 새로운 장”
NewJeans sings 2023 Lol World Championship anthem
BTS agency likely to face tougher disclosure rules
New teachers’ manual bans recording devices in classrooms
- [Today’s K
- Reconstructed Dondeokjeon hall in Deoksu Palace to open to public
- Breadwinners in their 60s or above double in 9 years
- 4th Global Biz Forum kicks off to discuss 'next prosperity'
- N. Korea scheduled to hold key parliamentary meeting following Kim
- [Herald Review] ‘Cobweb,’ a fresh, new wind in the Korean box office
- Breadwinners in their 60s or above double in 9 years
- LG chief convenes CEO meeting to review growth strategy
- Hana Financial signs MOU with Saudi Arabia's EXIM bank to expand cooperation
- Over half of Koreans want continuous strengthening of alliance with US: poll
- FSS issues advisories to fisheries cooperatives federation for W50b investment loss
- Incheon Airport passenger traffic to recover during Chuseok holiday
- [이번 주 리뷰]美 Fed 기준금리 동결…이재명 체포동의안 가결(18~23일)
- 합의문도 없는 희한한 북·러 정상회담…결국 비즈니스 관계였나
- "KTX 꼭 타보고 싶다" 했던 김정은 "만족한 합의"…뭐길래
- 야당 29명 반란, 이재명 방탄 뚫렸다
- 한동훈, 체포안 설명 8분 넘기자…“짧게 합시다” “왜 이리 시끄럽냐”
- [Book Review] 'Lee Kun
- Opposition head pleads for support in ‘fight against Yoon dictatorship’
- Yoon pushes for Xi’s visit to firm up ties with China
- [Herald Interview] Jung Soo
- Golden apples: Why fruit prices are national issue in early autumn
- Surveillance cameras to be a must in hospital operating rooms
- Mirae Asset continues to lead domestic equity ETF market
- Russian top diplomat to visit NK, accuses US of fueling tensions on Korean Peninsula
- From traditional to trendy, three of Seoul's top yukhoe spots
- PM to meet with Xi on sidelines of Asian Games in Hangzhou
- [Korea Beyond Korea] 'Funding drought jeopardizes interest in ancient Korea studies in US'
- BTS' Suga begins military service
- [New in Korean] Ancient Korean mummy unearthed in Irish peatland